17.9.11

TYLER LAUSTEN / ENGLISH VERSION

TYLER LAUSTEN / TL WAVESKIS



Name: Tyler LeBaron Lausten
Age: 23 till Nov 16
Address: Maui, Hawaii and Central Coast California
Occupation: Waveski shaper, builder

Paddle since: 2001

Other sports: right now none!
Main sportive achievements: 2x US waveski Champ, 11th 2009 worlds Australia

Hi Tyler! You started in whitewater sports...
Yes I was whitewater rafting by the time I was 8 or 9. I was always watching the kayakers dart about and play in the river features. I wanted to be like them...


After that, and according to your website, these three surfers influenced you a lot - Vince Shay, Fletcher Burton and Randy Phillips. How was that?
Vince put together The Search II and planned a trip to Maui. I met them when they came in Feb 2003. The were and still are great mentors of stoke! I got my first modern waveski from Fletch and now I build his boards. We travel together and he is crazy! Vince lit so much fire under my ass by filming me and putting me in his movie i still have it burning! And Randy is a classic great ambassador and a humble ripper who holds it all together.


And then, Neil Decker from Dekka Waveskis had also a main role in your shapping evolution...
Yes after the 2007 worlds in NZ I spent 6 weeks on the Gold Coast of Oz and he shaped a ski for me while I was there. Was such a cool feeling being in that room with the lights and watching the thing take shape. Planted the shaping seed there! Not to mention Neil is an awesome maniac!

Now, about these worlds in Portugal Ocean Spirit Festival, what did you think about it?
Unbelievable setup and organization! It felt amazing just to take part. I would have liked to surf better but what can you do? It was great to see the 2 french juniors (Pablo and Virgile) make it to the finals.

It's your second time in Portugal... like our country?
Love it! Could spend a lot of time from Ericeira to Santa Cruz and Peniche!

How do you see the evolution of waveski worldwide?
Well Europe is definitely carrying the torch right now. the sport needs juniors and there are none anywhere else. Here in the US we have gotten organized again and hold annual comps at the best breaks of the east and west coasts (Ventura c street and florida sebastian inlet) that are open to international competitors... definitely need to keep pushing the envelope and blowing minds to get people intrigued.

And about the skis... do you think that there is still much to improve?
Depends. if you are content with what you are riding then no. as for me I am always thinking of the next ski I am going to build! I always learn more and want to apply it as well as try new things! there is lots of room to play with waveskis! I also like to play with construction as strength is quite important.

What are your future perspectives regarding TL Waveskis?
Ill be making my first million dollars within the next 2 years... I just want to offer a new and different quality product and so far there has been a bit of interest from the US and abroad so that keeps me going!

Planning to go till Brazil 2013?
Of course!

kayaksurf.net website...
The BEST (and only) universal paddlesurfing encyclopedia! Luis you do an amazing job of keeping the world updated and informed!

Last words...
Keep checking my youtube, surf hard, and see you in the water!!!

Thanks a lot Tyler and come back again!

ALL THE PHOTOS / CLICK HERE:
http://www.kayaksurf.net/TylerLausten.html

1 Comments:

Anonymous xlpharmacy said...

It looks like Australia is the best place to practice Kayak and It is good to know that there are great instructor there.

6:55 da tarde  

Enviar um comentário

<< Home